Get your week started with the latest news in women’s cycling:
- The 2020 UCI Road World Championships, originally scheduled to take place in Switzerland, have been cancelled. The Swiss Federal Council decided that because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the ban on events consisting of more than 1000 people will stay in force until 30 September. The UCI is currently working towards finding an alternative location, preferably in Europe, to ensure the 2020 World Championships can still take place. A final decision will be made by 1 September.
- Doltcini – Van Eyck Sport – Proximus has extended the contracts of Kathrin and Christina Schweinberger, as well as Minke Bakker.
- The Tour of Guangxi has been cancelled. The organisers maintained that there are still certain risks involved in hosting international sports events at this stage. The Tour of Chongming Island has also been cancelled for the same reason.
- The Belgian squad for the European Championships has been announced. The time trial will be contested by Julie de Wilde and Marith Vanhove (juniors), Shari Bossuyt and Britt Knaven (U23) and Sara Van de Vel and Julie Van de Velde (elite). The mixed team relay will consist of Britt Knaven, Sara Van de Vel and Julie Van de Velde. The road race will be taken on by Katrijn De Clercq, Julie De Wilde, Fien Masure, Jolien Van Coninckxloey, Marith Vanhove and Gloria Van Mechelen (Juniors), as well as Amber Aernouts, Shari Bossuyt, Britt Knaven, Lone Meertens, Marthe Truyen and Fien Van Eynde (U23) and finally Sanne Cant, Valerie Demey, Lotte Kopechy, Jesse Vandenbulcke, Kelly Van den Steen and Julie Van de Velde (Elite).
- The Giro Rosa has released the stage routes for the 2020 event. Notably Stage 4, at 170km, is one of the longest courses for women of any WorldTour race.
- Dutch Cycling has selected their riders for the European championships: Amy Pieters, Chantal van den Broek-Blaack, Ellen van Dijk, Anna van der Breggen, Annemiek van Vleuten, Demi Vollering, Marianne Vos and Loren Wiebes for the road and Ellen van Dijk and Anna van der Breggen for the time trial.
- Drops Cycling Team has announced that they have partnered with the Women’s Sport Group to help secure funding with the intent of applying for a WorldTour license beginning next year.
- The UCI announced that the 2020 Red Bull UCI Pump Track World Championships, which were to take place in Leogang, Austria on 9 October, have been cancelled.