Voxwomen and Rouleur have announced Orica Scott’s Annemiek van Vleuten as the winner of the Voxwomen Summer Rider of the Year.
After an utterly dominant performance at La Course as well as claiming two stage wins at the Giro Rosa, women’s cycling fans from across the world voted van Vleuten as their winner of the second phase of voting in the 2017 Voxwomen Rider of the Year Awards.
One year after that horrifying crash in the Olympic road race at the Rio 2016 Games, Van Vleuten was peerless at La Course by Le Tour de France, racing up the Col d’Izoard in a time many of the male professionals would have been happy with, if Strava is anything to go by. She then time-trialled her way to glory in Marseilles’ Orange Velodrome in the new pursuit stage. Add to that a third place overall and the mountains and points jerseys at the Giro, and a stage win at Emakumeen Bira, the Dutch time-trial champion has been truly impressive this summer.
Van Vleuten said: “I don’t know what to say! I am very proud of my results this summer – I set my goals and I achieved them. Now, I will get ready for the Worlds Championships – the next goal. It’s nice that people voted for me.”
The Dutch climber will now go through to the next phase of voting which will take place in November at the Rouleur Classic Show (November 2-4) this year.
Following a successful first year, Voxwomen has expanded the voting protocol for the 2017 edition to ensure that women’s cycling fans can have their say on the winner. The 2017 Voxwomen Road Rider of the Year will be decided after a series of online votes. Firstly, a selection of stand-out riders from the spring, summer and autumn periods will be put to a public vote by women’s cycling fans and followers. The winning three riders from this vote will then be judged by an expert panel to determine the overall winner of the annual ‘Voxy’ award that will be announced at the Rouleur Classic Show.
Anthony McCrossan, Voxwomen founder, said: “Annemiek has had a standout summer and it is a tremendous endorsement by Voxwomen fans to vote her as Voxwomen Summer Rider of 2017. Since her performance in Rio that showed her as a climbing talent she has continued to improve and set the pace in the mountains. This accolade is thoroughly deserved and she will now join Coryn Rivera in the final vote to decide the second Voxy to be awarded at the Rouleur Classic show in November.”
For further information about Voxwomen, visit www.voxwomen.com
To find out more about the Rouleur Classic Show and to purchase tickets, visit www.rouleurclassic.cc
More about Voxwomen
1. Voxwomen is an online hub that’s dedicated to providing professional women’s cycling content including a TV show, podcast, blog and much more
2. Voxwomen has been created by women, for women’s cycling fans.
3. Voxwomen exclusive content can be found on its YouTube channel and on www.voxwomen.com
4. The Voxwomen Cycling Show. A 24 minute women’s cycling show that brings racing, tips and the personalities of the women’s peloton to the screens of viewers. The Voxwomen Cycling Show is a monthly television show that showcases women’s cycling worldwide. It is available on the following channels:
· Eurosport UK
· Eurosport France
· Bike Channel UK
· Bike Channel Italy
· TV2 Norway
· SBS Australia
· Supersport South Africa
· Cycling TV
· Vimeo on DemandVoxwomen
5. Founding Sponsors are: Madison and Trek.
6. Voxwomen Partners are The Sufferfest , Endura, ROTOR, Canyon.
7. For all of the latest Voxwomen news, video releases, competitions and more:
a. Follow us on Twitter: @voxwomen
b. Like us on Facebook: /voxwomencycling
c. Follow us on Instagram: @voxwomencycling
d. Add us to your circle on Google+: /voxwomen